Thursday, January 28, 2016

Tae Yun Kim - "Time is Life"

I have been very fortunate to be Great Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim's student and instructor.  Even after many years I am still learning from her.  As we age, she emphasizes our health, and also our death.  I have never really wanted to think about death.  It feels like such a depressing subject.  But it is unselfish and fruitful to realize that our time is limited, and plan for it.

Just based on aging, our time is limited.  We all have limit, especially to the life we have where we can be healthy, take care of ourselves and live an active life.  So, do I have 10 years, or 20 years, or 30 years?  We all have a limit.  We are all dying.  But this has caused me to really dig deep, and try to deal with the emotion and consequences before anything happens.  I have found, there are a few major things to consider.

1. Your family and loved ones - Don't be selfish.  Take the time to plan out what will happen when you pass.  Be considerate of all those around you.

2. Plan out the next 10 years of your life - If you truly realize how short life is, plan out the rest of your life.  I used to think about setting 10 and 20 year goals.  Now I have to set only 3 to 5 year goals.  It makes me more focused on my goals, and gives me more courage to achieve my goals.  It allows me to be bolder, because time is limited.  Great Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim told me that life is time, and time is life.  Don't throw it away, it is all you have.

3. Build your legacy - Think about what you will leave behind.  Did you help people?  Did you make a difference?

4. Spirituality - The closer I get to death, the more I seek a deeper relationship with God.  There is so much beauty here in this world, and I believe we are here for a greater purpose.  I believe in spirituality, and that our spirit will live on.  We must prepare ourselves for this next spiritual trip.

Yours truly,
Ju Han
Student and Warrior of Great Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim



2 comments:

Jonathan Palmer said...

"Planning for the next 10 years" truly takes discipline and consistency. I love this exercise!

Unknown said...

LIfe is short and I know for myself I have wasted so much time. I love how Dr. Kim teaches to value every breath